Monday 10 August 2015

Seeing Beyond Political Views


DISCLAIMER:-
The views portended herein aren't meant to be foisted down anyone's throat as I'm a firm believer in the parlance; "to each, his own path".


I'm an inclusivist and a pacifist. I believe that if given the chance to, and all things being equal, I have the capacity to love a "devil".

It is common knowledge today that never a time in Nigeria's history have her people shown so much interest in governance, and by extension, politics.
Never a time also, has politics been this massively divisive. I have always held the view that the last general elections was an ethno-religious war which was executed using ballot paper and ink.
Gradually but steadily gaining momentum, we are reaching the epoch of an era where our whole acceptance of one another is based largely on political affiliation, not tribe anymore (or as it used to be).

I watched with interest, two Saturdays ago, at my neighborhood market, how two kids, not above 13 by my estimation kept throwing vitriols at each other...their banter was in the lines of...

Kid‎ 1:- Me I dey support Jonathan, una be wayo. PDP!! Power!

Kid 2 :- "Oloshi! Ode niyen! Ole Buruku! Which kain PDP‎, PDP wey don chop all Nigeria money finish, you no see as light dey now, God go punish you and that your jonathan. Sai Buhari Joor!!!!

^^It is a reflection of what we, the adults have instilled in them. Even in our discussions, especially online, it has become a case of kill or be killed (verbally). The moment a person posits a comment which doesn't tally with that which we believe, automatically, our psychological defenses/offensives build up, we wait out an available opportunity to shoot them in the head (verbally).
It is becoming really worrisome that we cannot co-exist side by side with differing views.
"It's either our way, or the highway."

Among locales, you now hear stuff like "I AM APC" "YOU ARE PDP"
Individuals now derive their sense of identification from a political party and by extension, drawing a sense of worth and self from there.

Personally, I think this is a well thought out, veritable mind control manipulation tool which the elite uses, to keep the masses on a tight leash while ensuring that we fight their wars. We have been reduced to mere foot soldiers, who do not really gain any dividend of democracy, but defend these folks, even when they are clearly in the wrong like our lives depended on it.

Never a time have our youth from both sides of the divide been heavily bribed ‎to defend whichever side the elite need them to support, with a mandate to bring down those who do not share their views using subtle threats, emotional blackmail, cyber bullying, hurling scathing invectives and whatnots.

Now, let me come a little more closer to home.

The moment some of us declared support for a political party, ideology or politician, we lost friends, if we didn't lose them as friends, then surely, the bonds which once held us closely knit to one another became loosened.
In our social circles, online, offline, we are accepted wholly because we support one of either parties, either loudly, or by proxy.

Let me ask this question...I will use myself as an example...
To my close friends who are unapologetically GEJites, what would be your reaction be today if I announced that I no longer see anything good in GEJ ideologies, that my conviction has changed?
Would you still love, extol and honour me? Or would you consciously and unconsciously do anything to see me fall, because you're of the belief that I'm a political prostitute, a betrayer and whatever vitriol you seek to label me with?

Today, I congratulate the men and women who have remained true to one another despite‎ the difference in polarity, as it relates to political leanings/persuasion.
I congratulate those who still seek to love wholeheartedly, those who do not share their views.
I salute those who will not allow themselves be blinded by hate and unwarranted distrust for their fellow man.

Today also, I enjoin us to value friendship, fellowship and brotherhood above partisanship.
I enjoin us to see everyone as our brother, and sister.
While it is true that it is easier to love those whom we're on the same page with, I reckon that it is not an impossible feat to think good thoughts, and accept those who don't share our views.

The reality remains that some of us will be vocal in our support or dis-support ‎of this government, the reality is that we will not always agree with one another, sometimes, the views your friend portends will likely annoy you and you will likely lash out, I think it is healthy to do so, instead of beefing them, and while speaking your mind, please be careful not to cross that line, be careful that your actions aren't borne out of hate or averseness. Show more tolerance, apply diplomacy.

I believe that we can rise above hate, malice, vituperations, vitriols and whatnots.
I believe that on this cyberspace and offline, we can apply subtle jabs that don't bother on hate and bitterness, and still engage in healthy arguments. Yes We Can.

The Transformation, The Change, ‎The Positive Overhaul that we so desire for this nation must start with us.
How ready are we?


4 comments:

  1. Human beings are funny though. First the difference was ethno-religious but that is been diffused and political sides is causing the divide.....

    We will be alright in the end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You Echo My Sentiments Exactly, Mynd.

      It gets better.

      Delete
  2. Nne o, I'm sure you know who this is. My phone fell into water a while back and it's just messed up, I'm waiting on note 5 to be released since it's coming out this August in the United States so I'm managing it like that for now. I called T-Mobile, hopefully latest by next month they'll have it for us. Imagine I had to go through nl to locate your blog hoping to find an email address but nothing so this is my last resort lol. I just got your voicemail now at the office, sorry love, didn't know you called, my screen doesn't show anything, hope you're well. Light and love baby girl, keep shining, I'm proud of you and love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice post and the way of pointing out the things is amazing , although your blog is also cool.keep it up

    7 Amazing Recent Posts Widgets for Blogger visit: www.mytrickspedia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks For Your Feedback!
I enjoy reading them :)